Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Solo Travels

I have left West Virginia traveled south to Atlanta Georgia. My drive ended up being quite a bit longer than I had originally thought, it was suppose to last 9 hours and ended up being over 12 hours. Map Quest is not always as great as it seems. it had me going on all of these back roads in West Virginia and Virgina, which in those states you have to travel about 20 miles per hour because it is so mountainous. So I decided to forge my own path to the South, not the best I idea i have ever had. I got lost a few time and arrived at Kevin's house (in Atlanta) well after 10:00 at night. Even though I arrived so late to the Maggert's house they were still so hospitable and welcoming. I left Kevin's house the next morning at 4:30 and headed to the airport where I boarded a plane to head to Jamaica via Miami. I arrived in Jamaica went through customs at a phenomenal pace and waited outside for Tonia to pick me up. I waited and waited (ha ha, just kidding Tonia I really didn't wait that long :)), and while I was waiting about 15 men came up to talk to me asking if I needed a ride. Luckily the 15Th man was Tonia's driver Mike, but at the time I didn't know that and of course I denied him until I saw Tonia jump out of the van. My drive through Jamaica was to say the least interesting, most of the buildings are small run down shacks and homes, the bigger businesses are surrounded with barbed wire. The roads are full of potholes and swerving cars and as you pass a vehicle you give them a nice little honk to tell them thanks. Not at all what you use a horn for in the States. I seems like the houses are either small little shanties or huge houses and not much in between. Tonia's place is really nice with tile everywhere and fruit trees outside.
It is nice to be in Jamaica to experience yet another new place. I'm excited to learn more about the people and the culture and to explore all that it has to offer.


The beautiful little flowers and green things of Jamaica




Tonia's house and little neighborhood










More pictures are soon to come...

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I want to be you! I'm sure you will have fun with Tonia. I want to see pictures of all the crazy roads and drivers there!